- aI think you know already that I want to discuss the representation for your alarm clocks.
- bYes, Mr. Bergerson. You mentioned that in your letter. To tell you the truth, your proposal surprised us.
- aIs that so? Anyhow I want to go over the details with you in person, so you can give my suggestion thorough consideration. Our firm specializes in this line of business. We have six sales representatives, who are on the road all the time, covering the whole of the European market.
真的吗？我想亲自同你谈谈细节问题，这样你可以好好考虑我的建 议。我们公司专营这项业务，有六名销售代表常年在外，负责整 个欧洲市场。
- bDo you sell direct to shops?
- aYes, we specialize in handling clocks and watches of all sorts. We have well established channels of distribution and we canvass the retailers direct, without any middlemen.
- bDo you keep a stock of these things?
- aIn some cases, such as the wristwatches, which always have a steady market, we keep a stock in London and act as distributors as well as agents. Generally, however, we pass on the orders of our clients to the manufacturers for supply. We are paid for our service, of course.
有的商品如手表，市场很稳定，我们在伦敦有库存，经销商品兼作 代理。然而，一般来讲，我们把客户的订货单交给制造商去供货。 当然，我们根据所提供的服务取得报酬。
- bThat is, your commission.
- aYes, our commission is very reasonable. We usually get a 10% commission of the amount on every deal.
- bOur agents in other areas usually get a 3-5% commission.
- aThe European market is not familiar with your products. You have competitors from Japan and other continental countries. At the beginning of our campaign, there is sales resistance to overcome, we must send out salesmen to do a lot of traveling and spend a considerable amount of money on advertising in news- papers and TV programs. A 10% commission will not leave us much.
欧洲市场对你方产品不熟悉。你们要对付日本和其他大陆国家的竞 争对手。在推销活动的开始阶段，需要克服销售方面的阻力，我们 得派出推销员到处出差，并且耗费大量资金在报纸上和电视节目里 登广告。百分之十的佣金对我们来说不算宽裕。
- bAccording to your estimate, what is the maximum annual turn- over you can fulfill, in round figures, of course?
- aWe will always do our utmost to enlarge the business, as our remuneration increases with the turnover, but we will not guar- antee anything, at least not to begin with.
- bWe appreciate very much your intention to push the sale of our products. But our suggestion to you, Mr. Bergerson, as a preliminary step, is to do a little research into the market……
- aDo you mean to say you refuse us the agency?
- bMr. Bergerson, you leave us no alternative. We can not give you an exclusive agency of the whole European market without having the slightest idea of your possible annual marketing turnover. Besides our price is worked out according to the costing. A 10% commission means an increase in our price. We must have the reaction of the buyers in this respect.
博格森先生，你让我们没有选择了。我们不能连你方每年可能销售 多少都不知道就给予你们整个欧洲市场的独家代理权。 而且我方价 格是根据成本而定的。给予百分之十的佣金就意味着我们的价格要 提高。我们必须知道卖主在这方面有什么反映。
- aOh, that's just too bad. I intended to make great efforts in selling your products.
- bWell, we can still carry on our business relationship without the agreement. To start the ball rolling, we will provide you with price lists, catalogues and some samples. Only when you have a thorough knowledge of the marketing possibilities of our products, can we then discuss further details.
- aAh, Mrs. Miller, but in this case am I covered?
- bOh, yes. We will give you a 5% commission on every transaction.
- aAll right, but I'll be back again for the Autumn Fair. And then I hope we can see eye to eye about our commission and the terms of the agency.
- bVery good. We will discuss the matter again at the next Fair.