- aFirst of all, I would like to thank you for your kind invitation to visit your beautiful country. I hope my visit will help to promote a friendly relationship between us.
- bWe've been looking forward to your visit. It is a great pleasure for us to have you as our guest. It is always more convenient to discuss things face to face.
- aI would like to tell you that my clients are very satisfied with the last delivery of your slippers. The styles and colors are very much to the taste of our market.
- bWe've received some similar comments from other Australian firms too.
- aI understand you are selling the same products to some other Australian importers. This tends to complicate my business. As you know, I am experienced in the business of slippers and enjoy a good business relationship with all the leading whole- salers and retailers in that line. I have a mind to expand this business in the years to come. One of the reasons of my visit here is to sign a sole agency agreement with you on these items for a period of 3 years. As it is to our mutual interests and profit, I am sure you'll have no objection to it.
我知道你们也向其他澳大利亚进口商出售同样的产品。这使我们的生意很难做。你知道，我方在经营拖鞋业务方面很有经验，而 且和这一行业中的所有大批发商和零售商有很好的业务关系。我打算将来扩大这项业务。我来访的原因之一就是想和你们签订一项为期三年的独家代理协议。这符合我们双方的利益，我确信你 方不会有任何反对意见。
- bWe appreciate your good intention and your effort in pushing the sale of our slippers. As you know, the demand for this item in your market is quite substantial. However, according to our records, the total amount of your order last year was moderate, which does not warrant an agency appointment. Unless you increase the turnover we can hardly appoint you our sole agent.
- aI'll come to that. My proposal is: plastic slippers of all sizes. 50,000 pairs annually within the area of the whole Australian market. We expect a 5% commission, of course.
- bAs far as I remember, we sold about 40,000 pairs last year to you alone. Don't you think this annual turnover is rather conserva- tive for a sole agent?
- aWell, I admit I always do business on the safe side. Could you let me have your proposal then?
- bLet's put it this way. I propose a sole agency agreement for Ladies and gents plastic slippers (excluding children's) for a duration of 3 years; 60,000 pairs to be sold in the first year, 70,000 pairs in the second year, and 80,000 pairs in the third year, the area is to be within the continent of Australia (excluding any neighboring island), commission 5%.
- aYou certainly drive a hard bargain, Mrs. Brown.
- bOn the contrary, Mr. London, we value your friendship more than anything else. We both understand our slippers are very popular in your market on account of their superior quality and competi- tive price. And with the sole agency in your hand, there will be no competition and you can easily control the market, which would naturally result in bigger sales. I'm sure you can fulfill the agreement without much difficulty.
恰恰相反，伦敦先生，我们很珍惜你方友谊。我们双方都知道我们 的拖鞋价廉物美而畅销于你方市场。你取得了独家代理权之后，你 就可以轻而易举地控制市场，没有其他竞争，其结果自然是销售量增大。我确信你完成这一协议不会有任何困难。
- aWell, if you put it this way, I'll have to comply. When shall we sign the contract, Mrs. Brown?
- bTomorrow afternoon.
- aTomorrow afternoon will be fine.