- aI wish to make it clear at the outset that this matter of labels is entirely our problem.
- bI should say it is something we have never come across before.
- aThe Federal Food and Drug Administration, or the FDA as we call it for short, imposes a whole set of regulations on the import of food products to the United States. Over the years, they have become so rigid and complicated that they are now quite a head- ache for us importers.
- bIn my opinion, overly strict regulations are just another way of restricting imports.
- aAh, there's something in what you're saying. According to the present FDA regulations, the Ma Ling Labels then cannot be used if the lichee is to be offered for import into the United States.
- bWhy not? Our cannedlichee and canned provisions have already been widely sold in various markets abroad, and the Ma Ling Label has now been accepted by most of overseas customers and importers. Is it quite impossible for you to use the Ma Ling labels as they are?
为什么不行呢？我们的罐装荔枝和其他罐装品已经在国外许多市 场上广泛销售，而且Ma Ling商标已经被大多数的海外顾客和进口商所接受。你真的没法使用Ma Ling标签吗？
- aI'd be quite willing to if I could, but we must comply with the label requirements according to our law, or we can't clear the consignment of lichee through the Customs.
- bIn that case, what can we do to help you? Have you any suggestions?
- aWould you consider quoting us for the order with neutral cans on a C.I.F. basis for delivery in Hong Kong? Our associated company there will have the labels printed to comply with the FDA regulations.
- bDo you think that's the only way out? You know we usually do the labeling, as we are responsible for the brand labels of our products.