aMatthew, do you know much about body language in countries around the world?
马修,你了解世界各国的肢体语言吗?
bSure, I've picked up a few things from travelling around for work. Why?
当然。我工作中有很多出差的机会,了解到一些这方面的知识。怎么了?
aWell, I had a meeting today with a woman from Japan and she wouldn't stop bowing! I didn't know what to do!
好哎,我今天参加了一个会议,会上有个日本女子总是不停地鞠躬?我不知道该怎么办!
bDid you bow back?
你也鞠躬回礼了吗?
aNo, I tried to shake her hand, but her hand was so limp I was a bit offended.
没有,我试着和她握手,但是她的手软弱无力,弄的我都有点不高兴了。
bWell, Japanese businessmen and women typically bow to greet each other in Japan. She might have been offended by your strong handshake.
哦,在日本,谈生意的人无论男女一般都会互相鞠躬致意。你握手那么用力她很可能因此而有点不愉快。
aBut she was in America! Shouldn't she have known that strong handshakes in America signify confidence and respect?
但她这是在美国!难道她不知道,在美国用力握手意味着信任和尊重吗?
bThings are different in Japan. You know, in some countries, making eye contact with others is considered rude.
这跟日本的习俗完全不同。你知道吗,在有些国家,直视对方的眼睛被认为是无理的举动
aIs that why she wouldn’t look at me in the meeting?
这就是她为什么在开会时一直不看我的原因吧?
bI think it's highly possible, yes.
我觉得很可能是这个缘故。
aThe meeting really didn’t go down well at all. I think I need to read up about intercultural communication before I have another meeting with someone from another country.